June 25-26: 45th Elk Basin Cross Country, 9AM
Promoter: Trever Pankratz 406-208-2514
Part of the 406XC Series
BMC’s World Famous 47 years of Elk Basin Cross Country racing returns once again, and is part of the 406 XC series. Rider athletes know to expect a challenging course consisting of miles of single track, rocks, sagebrush, hill climbs, descents, ascents, side hills, sand sections, rocky runs, root ways, timber limb dodging, a few natural jumps and everything in between that requires top-notch endurance for both the rider and the bike.
Elk Basin outside of Belfry Montana is considered high desert Bad Lands terrain and is no walk in the park by any means. Many top competitors in the Pro classes can find their body or bike unable to finish and that is why fans and rider teams will see a “No Whimps Allowed” sign at the event entrance.
The Competition Course
The full course A/B course will be approximately 20 miles to complete a single lap and course design changes each year to keep the event ride dynamic and ever-changing. Youth Classes, Women and Open C race Saturday; and although not as difficult or as long a course, still challenges the kids and beginners and they are just as enjoyable to watch. A and B classes race Sunday on the big course.
Fans and riders typically make it a whole weekend and camp, with a Pre-Ride Fun Run on the main course after Saturday’s races, yarn-telling around the evening campfires and the main Events starting each morning. The schedule is below and times are tentative.
Free Entry, Free Camping
No Gate Fee for Spectators, Free Camping/Parking (BLM Land).
- Part of the 406 XC Series
Pre-entry gets you a free event T-shirt
- 5pm Pre-Ride for Saturday Course (Optional)
- 8:30am-9:30am: Signup for kid’s races and C-class races
- 9:30am: 50cc race 4-6yr old (30 min) – (50 course, approx. 1 mile)
- 10:00am: 50cc race 7-8yr old (30 min) – (50 course, approx. 1 mile)
- 11:00am: 65 (7-11), 85cc JR (7-11), 85cc SR (12-15), Supermini (12-15), Girls (12-15): (60 min, Youth Course approx. 9 miles)
- 1:30pm: C Men/C Women/ Vintage Class (90 min, C-course approx. 9 miles, Short riders meeting before start, come ready to race)
- 3:30pm (or as soon as results are done): Awards
- 5-6:00pm: Pre-Ride / Sunday signup
- 8:00am-9:00am: Sunday Signup cont.
- 9:15am: Riders Meeting
- 9:30am: Races Start (Staggered Class Start)
- 20 mile laps
- A-Classes: 3 laps
- B-Classes: 2 laps
- Subject to change, in the event of extreme heat or inclement weather races may be shortened. Will let you know at the riders meeting.
1:30pm (or as soon as results are done): Awards
-All times are tentative
From Powell WY, head north on HWY 295 for approx 15 miles, turn left onto Rd 1 N G near Elk Basin gas plant, follow this road North West for approximately 7 miles to race site.